You may call us biased but eating a perfectly cooked piece of Sirloin steak is one of life’s little pleasures. In our latest steak series blog, we give you the lowdown on exactly what a Sirloin cut of steak is and what makes it so special and delicious!
What is a Sirloin Steak?
Historically, the name Sirloin comes from the French word ‘surloine’ meaning ‘below the loin’ as ‘loin’ is what was once called a fillet. The entire Striploin, or Sirloin is found beneath the back of the animal, between the ribs and the fillet. Sirloin steaks are cut from the best quality meat in the primal.
How do they cook?
Due to the combination of the tender meat from the entire Striploin and the outer edge of fat down the one side, these steaks cook really well, and are ideal for most steak lovers, however, the reason why people love them in particular is due to their perfect balance of lean meat to fat %.
How to spot the perfect Sirloin Steak
- Well matured – it has been said that 28 days is just right when it comes to Sirloin steak, however, if it is slightly older, that’s okay too, just be sure its not less than 28 days. It may sound odd, but a little trick to ensure it is perfect is to smell it at room temperature before you cook it – if it gives off a gorgeous buttery aroma, you know you are on the money.
- Grass fed – grass fed beef has a richer flavour and a much more tender texture than grain fed. It also wont leave a greasy taste in your mouth.
- Good marbling – although Sirloin is not as marbled as Ribeye or some of the other humble cuts, it should still be streaked with tiny bits of fat throughout the meat.
- Excess fat trimmed off – we would advise leaving 5 mm of fat on the steak to ensure you get the best possible flavour when cooking.
- Butchered with care – make sure your butcher has removed all gristle and silver skin to get the most out of your meal.
- Decent thickness – depending on the size of the entire cross section of the Striploin, the cut can vary.
Come down to Cabrera Steakhouse and enjoy our incredible Sirloin steaks, with a choice of one of the 7-month watering sauces. Peppercorn, Criola, Churrasco, Cabrera mayo, Pebre, Bernaise, Chimichurri or Blue cheese!
We at Cabrera serve a delicious 300g tender and perfectly cooked, Sirloin steak with a variety of delectable sides. Get in touch with our team at Cabrera to book your table to try out our tasty Sirloin steak, you won’t soon forget.